Friday, February 3, 2012

Axiom - a book review

While on vacation, I had the opportunity to do some extra reading. One of the books I read was: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs by Bill Hybels. I am always looking to improve as a leader, and reading leadership books, with an eye toward improvement is one way to do that. My overall evaluation is that reading this book is worth any leader's time. They are easy to read, short chapters; and I read the entire book in about a day. Certainly, the author shares much of his story; but I found many great reminders and new ideas, that are helpful to me, as a growing leader. I know there will always be more to learn; and I never want to stop doing so.

Let me share some of my favorite quotes:
p.17 - "The very best leaders I know wrestle with words until they are able to communicate their big ideas in a way that captures the imagination, catalyzes action, and lifts spirits."

p.23 - "If you're chasing a bold vision, one of the greatest gifts you can give the people around you is to get in front of them, eyeball-to-eyeball, and ask them to step up and do something great for God."

p.37 - "At some point in their leadership journey, every leader gets a vision from God."

p.56 - "You know you've ingested a little incrementalism when innovation is no longer welcomed in your environment."

p.61 - "Only God."

p.67 - "The key learning is this: What you value in your church must be raised up, taught about, and celebrated on a regular basis."

p.80 -"What' the biggest mistake you've ever made as a leader?...My answer's always the same: Placing people in significant leadership roles who were not first tested."

p.88 - "How are you doing...really?"

p.99 - "Always give the bad news first."

p.118 - "One of the most consistent cries I hear from church attendees all over the world is the cry for clarity from their pastors."

p.125 - "The healthiest organizations I see are not conflict-free. They are just ridiculously committed to keeping short accounts."

p.159 - "A very wise man once told me that tucked deep inside every critic's attack is usually at least a tiny kernal of truth."

p.196 - "Great leaders read frequently. They read voraciously. They read classics and new releases."

p.200 - "Promptness is about character, and leaders are not beyond the rules that govern things like courtesy and character. Arrive early or not at all."

p.214 - "The question is not whether we'll leave, I'd tell my colleagues. The question is how well we'll leave when its finally our turn to go."

No comments: