Friday, February 10, 2012

NO SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO...

On February 14, 2005, I walked into my office to officially begin my first day as lead pastor of Grace Baptist Church. What a 7 year period it has been! I suppose I could focus on the negative things. There certainly have been those. But instead, I am choosing to focus on the blessings God has brought to me, and allowed me to experience in these 7 years. (this is certainly NOT an exhaustive list; but it is a start)
  • I have learned to depend on God more than ever (still desperately need Him)
  • I have learned more about my weaknesses and have given myself to growing (still growing)
  • I have learned, through many mistakes, about what it takes to lead a church (still learning)
  • I have learned to be honest and transparent, allowing people to see my weaknesses, sin struggles, and what I am passionate about (still needing to learn how to communicate these well to some)
  • I have experienced true friends, who are there, no matter what (incredible blessing)
  • My wife and children have been awesome and God has used them to keep me going in tough times (I love them more every day)
  • I am privileged to serve with the best pastor I know: Steve Strong. He is a friend, tells me the truth, and keeps my focus on God. (yes, I know he's a youth pastor, but to me, he is a pastor, in all sense of the biblical word)
  • I have seen many people come to faith in Christ (there is nothing better!)
  • I have had the privilege of baptizing many, identifying with Christ and committing to following Him (wow - what an experience!)
  • I have seen, with my own eyes, people taking their next steps in Christ, and just rejoicing inside as I hear them share their excitement with our congregation (If I am not a pastor to see people discipled, taking their next steps, then I'm in it for the wrong reasons).
  • I have seen some marriages restored, some sinful habits broken, and some real personal growth in those who have given me the privilege of helping them (to God be the glory)
  • I have seen a faithful God, in the ups and downs of these 7 years, stay with me, never let me down, and continually forgive my daily sins (Thank you God!)
  • I have come to love the people of Grace. I would do anything for them. That is a personal blessing, that for these 7 years, God has allowed me to come to know and love a group of people like this (and each day is a new day to learn to love even more)
  • If tomorrow is my last day here at Grace, I will choose to remember the blessings, the privilege, for this time in my life, to be one of her pastors. (Lord, just give me another day to enjoy the blessings that come with this ministry...please)

No comments: