Friday, February 17, 2012

Living in Leviticus

I have been around 45 years on this earth and a pastor for over 18 years. I don't remember ever uttering the name of the biblical book: Leviticus, and then receive any kind of enthusiastic utterance. I don't remember hearing anything like: That book is my favorite; awesome; I really grew from reading and studying that book; I couldn't put it down; I felt like God was speaking right to my heart; I found my life verse in this book; I can't wait to share with you what I learned from Leviticus; If there is one book you need to read, to know how to live for God, its Leviticus!

Now, I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, has said something like the statements above; but I have never heard them. I admit that this is not a book that has excited me over the years. However, since I do believe in II Timothy 3:16,17, that ALL Scripture (including Leviticus) is God-breathed; and that it is here to help me grow in Christ, then I must find out how. And, it means, that although it doesn't have to be our favorite, it certainly should not be ignored as though God accidentally included it in Holy Scripture!

There are some verses in Leviticus, that help reveal the theme of this God-breathed book:
Leviticus 11:44 - "For I am the LORD your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy..."
Leviticus 11:45 - "...You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy."
Leviticus 19:2 - "...You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy."
Leviticus 20:7 - "Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, for I am the LORD your God."
Leviticus 20:26 - "You shall be holy to me, for I the LORD am holy..."

Holiness, being set apart to God, is a major theme of Leviticus. And although the details of how God asked the nation of Israel to demonstrate holiness in those days may differ from the details for us today, there is a great opportunity to capture how important holiness is to God, into our hearts. When you read Leviticus, take to heart just how crucial holiness was in God's sight; and see how all the incredible detail included here speaks to that truth.

Then, ask God to help you to see where holiness fits on your own personal "radar"; and what God might be asking you to do, specifically, to honor Him in holiness. This can be a daily prayer. You might not gain many details of living from Leviticus; but you can take away much about the character of God. And then, it is up to me, up to us, to work hard at figuring out what holiness looks like in our lives today.

And maybe, just maybe, if I can grasp this concept, and if it changes my life for the good, the words may be expressed, if not out loud, then at least in my heart: " I am loving Leviticus"!

No comments: