Friday, June 8, 2012

FROM 0 TO 120 MPH IN 4 SECONDS

That sounds cool, doesn't it? At least, for many guys, that sounds awesome. We normally think in terms of having a car, where we can accelerate fast, and at least feel like we are going 100 mph (note to any officers reading this: I'm talking about other guys - certainly not about myself - that's not safe, right?)! But, when you are not in control of the driving, surrounded by dozens of people screaming, and after accelerating to that speed, going vertical for over 400 feet, "cool" is not the first word that comes to mind. I am, of course, describing the Top Thrill Dragster, one of the great roller coasters found at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

It was a blessing, that with the kids pitching in some savings, and my wife using her "e-bay" money, we were able to finish our home school year with a great field trip to Cedar Point. With being out of work, and searching all over the country for another ministry, who knows if we will have this opportunity as a family again. We are very grateful. It was a beautiful, sunny day, it was not crowded (some were still in school), and everybody had a great time (not to mention that I didn't completely lose consciousness at any time).

Because there were not many people there, we were able to ride most of the rides multiple times, with less than a 15 minute wait. But, I learned there are some blessings to not being able to just keep riding roller coaster after roller coaster. I'm not as young as I think I would like to be. I realized I was getting older, not because I got dizzy riding the roller coasters, but because I started getting dizzy watching my kids ride some of the rides! They seemed tireless, riding one ride after another, as I searched for shade and place to close my eyes and bow my head (in prayer, of course!).

Amusement parks are fun, but for those who are seeking the next thrill, on the next greatest thrill ride, soon find it doesn't last long. And they are off, seeking the next thrill. Even the $10 hot dog, stuffed animal "won" after spending another $10 on silly games, and the endless twists and turns of the thrill rides, we are left with the reality that satisfaction doesn't come at 120 miles per hour, or at 400 feet on a steel track. Real satisfaction comes from living each day, taking slow steps at low altitudes toward Christ (albeit sometimes dangerous and difficult!); and doing it in the context of community of family.

Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of enjoying a day like this with my family; but help me remember that every, ordinary day is an exciting opportunity to enjoy the thrills of knowing and following you!


No comments: