Monday, December 31, 2012

BEFORE THE NEW YEAR BEGINS...-

Everyone is all about bringing in the New Year, especially right now, just 95 minutes away from the "ball dropping" and ushering in 2013. People are partying, laughing, eating, playing games, dancing and making goals (formerly known as New Year's resolutions). But, as I sit here, anticipating the new year (I will probably be asleep before the new year begins), there is something I need to do first. It is something I would encourage everyone to do...reflect on 2012. Before we move on to 2013, let me reflect on some things God did, for me personally, in 2012.

1. He gave me the vision of leading our church through a Bible reading, memorization and book reading schedule. This was a way for our church body to grow together, even as we individually pursued God and His Word. Although I was only there for a few months this year, it ended up being an incredible growing process for me, especially in reading through the Bible chronologically. And our family worked on, and is still working on memorizing Colossians.

2. He led me through a very difficult time. We all go through times when we feel alone, betrayed and hurt. At a very low time for me this year, God was right there, holding me up, speaking truth to me; and giving me others to encourage my heart.

3. He forgave my sins. This is not a one time action on God's part. When I was willing to confess and repent, "He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins..." Facing my weaknesses has been tough, and yet knowing that God still loves me, forgives me and restores me encourages my heart.

4. He provided for our family. He incredibly sold our home. He opened up a place for our family to live. He provided part-time work for me. He has provided, as He promised, everything we need. And He has gone beyond in many ways.

5. He has given me my passion back for ministry as a pastor. The end of my most previous ministry was rough and He knew I needed some time for rest, reflection and restoration. During these months, God has helped me see who I am, who He is, and what is most important in my life. He has also directed me back to serving Him as a pastor, once He opens the right door and the right time. I am refocused and re energized, to serve Him once again according to His calling on my life.

So, as I enter 2013, I first praise God for 2012; and especially for what I learned about Him. He is the faithful God who keeps His promises; and I don't expect that to change just because the ball drops at midnight. To God be the glory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are God alone, and before time began, you were on your throne, You are God alone, and right now, in the good times and bad, you are God alone, you're unchangeable, you're unshakable, you're unstoppable, that's what You are! It was good seeing you after Christmas, Greg, and your family too, I know my kids enjoyed being with yours. May God direct your paths in 2013. Prov. 3:5-6.