Friday, November 29, 2013

HAPPY GIVINGTHANKS

I know, I know - I misspelled it. And I'm a day late. And there is technology that would help me change 
Givingthanks to Thanksgiving. I know. But as I think about Thanksgiving, I think we normally think about all the "wrong" things, such as Turkey, chocolate chip cookies (certainly chocolate can't be wrong in any context, but since I don't know how to use my delete button, I guess I'll keep it here), movies, football, and of course, going out late on Thanksgiving night, to stand in line for hours, so I can get $10 off on a Black Friday special! Certainly, the fact that most Thanksgivings include family we don't see all the time is still a highlight for many; and that is always a good thing (unless you don't like your family and you spend most of your time tolerating them, arguing with them, or just plain ignoring them - not your family of course - someone else's). 

Anyways...what I noticed is that Thanksgiving is rarely about what it is supposed to be about: Giving Thanks.
So, I decided to change the name of the Holiday. Is that o.k. with you? It just makes more sense to me. It seems like it might keep us on track, if we said each time: "Happy GivingThanks". I understand it may not be as catchy; and the term may not have people running to get in line for Black Friday sales as readily. But, perhaps, it would cause us to take a moment...to pause...and to consider that whatever else we enjoy during this Holiday, there has to be a good healthy portion of GIVING THANKS.

Shouldn't we actually be thankful during Thanksgiving? If not, certainly we must be thankful during the Holiday renamed "Givingthanks"! And during this time, we should actually consider what we are thankful for; and remember to tell God, and others, what we are thankful for; and that we are, truly, thankful. Have I convinced you? Are you already finding yourself changing the name? Perhaps not. But, it's worth a try. So....

HAPPY GIVINGTHANKS!

No comments: