Thursday, February 6, 2014

20 LESSONS IN 20 YEARS: LESSON 5

For 20 years now, I have had the privilege of serving God as a pastor, with some time in between with transitions. The time has gone so quickly; and it is my desire to enjoy every opportunity God gives me now and in the future to serve in this way. Part of that enjoyment is to learn from the past and to keep learning through my present experiences. If I can learn from those years, and keep an attitude of learning, I believe I can be even more effective for God's glory as I pastor into the future.
These are some of the lessons I have learned; and continue to learn:

Lesson 5: I have learned that everyone needs to be discipled
We normally think of new believers as the ones who need to be discipled; but the truth is, we all need to be. Regardless of our age or level of spiritual development, there is always a next step for us to take toward Christ for God's glory. As growing disciples, we are to be always learning more about Jesus and how to follow Him. Even the Apostle Paul made it clear that he had more growing to do, until He was with Jesus face to face.

This is not as easy, however, as it sounds. Not everyone agrees with this statement, at least in practice. In fact, I'm not sure I really believed this in my early days of ministry, as well as my growing up years. The people that I looked up to, or was taught to look up to - the ones that were considered godly, were the ones who had attended the church the longest, and usually had served in some area of the church for decades. Because of the way they dressed, and talked, and were committed to the ministry of the church, they were seen as mature, godly Christians. Some of them certainly were; and yet they always had more growing to do.

Unfortunately, the idea that once people reached a certain age, or level of respect from others, they were "untouchable", from a discipleship perspective. The only way they would have connection with discipleship is if they were the ones discipling. Additionally unfortunate is that some of those who tried to disciple were not leading others to follow Jesus more closely, but follow their own personal preferences, which they believed were equal to holiness. Of course, this was not always the case, but I have seen it enough in my life and ministry to know that it happens far too often.

So, as a pastor, I figured that it was my job, before God, to make disciples and equip people for ministry. I was to call everyone to follow Jesus, help them take their next steps (as I was taking mine), and help them learn how to help others take their next steps (discipleship). However, what I found is that certain people were, seemingly, "off limits" for discipleship. I don't know if it was my naivety, or foolishness; but I decided that if no one else was going to help them take their next steps, then as one of their pastors and shepherds, I would be willing to. I had no idea what I was in for!

I learned, fairly quickly, that some did not feel it was my place to disciple them; and took great offense at it. And I'm not necessarily talking about the kind of discipleship where you sit down for a 13 week Bible study. I'm just talking about the every day kinds of conversations where you do the "one anothers" of scripture with each other. In trying to shepherd and disciple in that way, I have had some of those who were seen as the most godly say and do some of the most ungodly things. I know I am no better, for I don't always live godly as I should. We are all in the same "boat". But, it was very disconcerting to have people respond so "violently" against my attempts to love them in that way.

One of the things I learned to do was to have others with me, who could help with the process; especially with those who were the most difficult. And I also learned, that there might come a time, when a person demonstrated they had no interest in "taking their next step", and so I didn't waste anyone's time trying to continue. The only exception would be is if they were publicly sinning, and refusing to stop. In those cases, I had no choice, biblically, but to continue helping them as God directs in His Word.

I learned to love in a way that others might call unloving. I would be very upfront with others, if they were clearly wrong; and I would tell them what God has to say, and then offer to help them. It broke my heart to have professing believers in Jesus talk and act that way, and show no desire to grow spiritually. I tried to help them see that true spiritual maturity is not in how many years we attend or serve, or how we dress or the music we listen to. It is about our walk with Jesus in His Word; and our willingness to continually submit our lives to Him. It is a sanctification process, until God takes us home.

God did use some of those times to help some of them decide to leave; and in some cases, that turned out for God's glory, because the rest of us were able to focus on growing spiritually and really loving and helping others grow in their faith. On the sad side, my willingness to love in this way turned into others pushing for me to be fired; and eventually, even several of my leaders decided I needed to go. Much of it was traced back to my willingness to disciple everyone, including those who are older, or those who serve as missionaries or other types of leaders. Even my willingness to keep growing myself and admit my own weaknesses were not enough to change people's minds.

But, as I look back, I don't regret it. God taught me a very valuable, although difficult lesson. We are to make disciples; and we are to love others enough to tell them the truth (in love). Sometimes, that turns into spiritual growth for everyone; but sometimes, it turns into people leaving or asking you to leave. Either way, there was growth; and as long as we faithfully (albeit imperfectly) follow God's Word on discipleship, it goes to His glory. And that, of course, is what it is all about in the first place.
I would do all again; and as I continue to pastor now and in the future, I pray God will give me the courage and faithfulness to keep growing and help others grow - regardless of mine or their age or level of spiritual development!




No comments: