Saturday, March 15, 2014

20 LESSONS IN 20 YEARS: LESSON 10

Lesson 10: I have learned what I thought I learned I haven't learned
No, it's not a typo; but I actually meant to write this down for lesson 10. Does it make sense? Let me explain. Over these past 20 years, I have learned quite a bit. But one of the important things in learning is to realize that there is always more to learn. It is one of those things I look for in a mature disciple of Jesus: he/she understands that there is always another "next step" to take in the spiritual journey. There is always more to grow in, more to learn. To me, that defines maturity. I think it is summed up well by the Apostle Paul:

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

That is the attitude I hope to have when it comes to learning as a pastor. As soon as I think I have learned something, a circumstance will arise that reminds me that maybe I haven't fully learned it yet. But, I need to continue have the desire to learn, and keep pursuing it. I can't rest on what I learned in the past, good or bad; but learn from the past and move forward to more learning.

Whether it is in changing locations of ministry, or roles, or even just coming back the next week, in the same ministry and role...something always changes. To think that you can keep doing what you have always done in every area of ministry every time will lead to death - either yours or the church. To think I have learned how to best minister in some way to people and that it will always be that way is ministry suicide. It is not static. It is fluid; and it is one of the things I have learned.

So, to sum up what I am trying to say: Keep learning, keep evaluating, keep striving, keep thinking, keep asking questions, keep praying; and keep humble. That is what I have learned...I think.

No comments: