Sunday, March 23, 2014

20 LESSONS IN 20 YEARS: LESSON 11

Lesson 11: I have learned to repeat, I have learned to repeat, I have learned to repeat...

Repetition is a good thing. Most teachers I know have not only taught that but practiced it. This is how I have learned what I have learned, and still remember different things today - because it was repeated. It makes sense. The same is true in all areas of life and ministry. And over these 20 years of being a pastor, I have learned that I need to repeat things, and that it is not only o.k. to repeat, but crucial to learning and application. So, when I am tempted to feel badly that I am saying something again and again and again, I try to remember that saying it again is the reason why it is being learned and applied. Saying it once and thinking it will stick is naïve.

One of the cool things I have seen over the years is people talking about and doing some of the things I have repeated and repeated and repeated. Without initiating it myself, it is rewarding when I realize that what I have repeated is now being repeated by others. And as long as what is repeated is honoring to God, and furthers His purposes, then it is all good! So, having learned that (or still learning it), I thought I would repeat my first 10 lessons learned from these 20 years of ministry. And perhaps, as you re-read this list, it may encourage or challenge you with the things God has been teaching you. I know it was helpful for me just to read these again:

Lesson 1: I have learned to boast in God, my weaknesses, and the cross of Jesus
Lesson 2: I have learned to be transparent
Lesson 3: I have learned to preach to myself before preaching to others
Lesson 4: I have learned to give people and the hurtful things they say, to God
Lesson 5: I have learned that everyone need to be disciple
Lesson 6: I have learned that this is God's church
Lesson 7: I have learned to listen
Lesson 8: I have learned to worship
Lesson 9: I have learned to be at home at night
Lesson 10: I have learned what I thought I learned I haven't learned

1 comment:

Kevin S. said...

Hello Pastor Greg,

I hope all of us at Weymouth Community Church continue to learn, and learn and learn and to boast in God, and in the cross of Jesus Christ!

Thank you for your transparency.
Thank you for your ministry.

Kevin S.