Friday, November 2, 2007

DAD SEEMS TO BE GROWING YOUNGER


DAD SEEMS TO BE GROWING YOUNGER


On November 1st, my dad had another birthday. I'm sure he is getting older likethe rest of us, but sometimes it seems he's getting younger. He works as hard today as I always remember growing up. He is one of those guys that never talks about retirement and it would make the headlines if he ever did. A heart issue seemed to slow him a few years ago, at least for a couple of days, and then he was back at it again. He still embarrases us "young" guys, by being the first one up and down the basketball court every time. I have a few things I would like to say to him.

Today, Dad, I honor you for just a few of the important character qualities I have seen over these years:

1. You have a great work ethic.

I'm not sure I have necessarily picked this up from you, but I am certain I have seen it in you. You get the sleep you need, but I've never heard of you just "laying around". You appreciate the life and energy God has given you , and you use every last drop of it. It is one of the reasons why working for yourself is a good idea. No boss or manager of yours has to be embarrased because you would undoubtedly outwork them! Thanks for your example in this area.

2. You can be trusted.

I have never heard anyone inside or outside of our family have doubts about whether or not you they could believe something you said. If you say you are going to do something, we know it will happen. This has been important in the various leadership positions you have held as well.


3. You are loyal.

I have never heard anyone question your loyalty to mom, your family, your church, your friends, your nation or your God. You stick with things and people that others are willing to push aside or forget. Many in the hospital or nursing home can attest to this.

These are all qualities that demonstrate you are, more importantly than everything else - a man who pursues godliness.

Thanks Dad for your great example to me and all others who have viewed your life up until now.

Your son,

Greg

No comments: