Friday, November 16, 2007

Ripped Off!

Do you know the feeling when you think you have just been ripped off? I have sensed it several times, but usually I cannot prove it, or am not able to do anything about it. Normally, I sense it right away. Today, I realized that I might have been ripped off for hundreds of dollars several months ago. I was looking for a mechanic that might be able to figure out a problem I had been dealing with for a few years. No one seemed to be able to fix it, but this guy guaranteed that he could. It seemed to take him forever, but finally he said it would take $750 and never have problems again. I didn't think I had a choice. I paid the money and received my car - eventually. It had taken about a month.

What a surprise when the car didn't start a day after getting it back! I called the mechanic and he came to get the car. He said he would figure it out and we would never have problems again. It seems like I had heard that before somewhere. More time passed. We were getting ready to go on a long trip and needed the car.

Today, watching the news, I saw one of those investigative segments. This one happened to be about certain auto mechanics in our area who had been reported the most often to the Better Business Bureau. The investigative team borrowed a car from a dealership and had it checked completely by the dealership and an independent mechanic they trusted. They took one thing from the car that would make the engine light go on but cause no damage to the car. They then took the car to several mechanics to see what they would say.

Many of them came back with long lists of what needed to be fixed, up to $850, when nothing needed to be fixed - just something put back in place. And I couldn't believe my ears or eyes when my mechanic appeared on the screen, having cheated the investigative reporter about $450. When they went back to confront him, he yelled at them to leave and wouldn't talk to them.

I think my senses might have been right in the first place. Did he give me a fair price for work that really needed to be done; or did he just try several things and charge me for them, no really knowing if they would work - especially since one day after paying the money, it didn't start!

When this type of things happen, we can feel and do a variety of things. I am tempted to be angry and write a nasty note. I am tempted to feel good that he was caught trying to cheat someone else. I am tempted to feel bitter at being cheated. By God's grace, I have not gone through with any of these thoughts. I have learned that, in this life, I cannot guarantee that I will never be cheated.

I cannot make everything right. But, I know who can. I have to trust that God will keep His promises; and will only allow into my life, including the possibility of being cheated, if it will allow me to grow in Him and for Him to be glorified. He will, with 100% certainty, make everything right in His time.

But, I need to share, with all glory to God, what had taken place when I was still waiting to receive the car back and hoping it would be fixed and in time to take our trip. Out of "nowhere", I received a call from someone asking me to take a ride to a used car dealer. There, I was shown a car and this person offered to buy it for me. I couldn't believe it. What a blessing!

We turned my car in for this new used one. I shouldn't be surprised at all. God provides for me when I do not deserve it and from all kinds of sources. All praise goes to Him. Hopefully, I will learn more from this experience and strengthen my trust in Him, regardless of the circumstances.

No comments: