Monday, February 15, 2010

BIBLICAL COUNSELING CONFERECE - Top 10

Now that I am back in the "real world", and the craziness has returned; and my blogging every day is as likely as summer arriving next week...I want to sum up my experience last week with a top 10 list. When I have a week like that, where I am hearing God's Word all day long and applying it to my life, I feel incredibly encouraged and humbled at the same time. I am encouraged because when my attention is on God and not on my circumstances, I realize who is in control and who I can rest in. I am humbled because I see my own weaknesses and the consequences of my sin. Although it was a week away form my "job", it is still hard work to listen intently all day long, every day,and to make sure that the truth being shared is reaching my mind and heart. It is the same difficult thing I ask of everyone who listens to me preach every week. O.k. - time for the top 10 list (in no particular order) of things I learned or was reminded of this week:

1. Romans 8:29 follows Romans 8:28. I bet you didn't know that did you? You probably knew that verse would logically come next, but do you know what it says? Most of the followers of Christ know Romans 8:28 by heart: "And we know that all things work together for good, for those who love God, for those who are called according to His purpose." But, it is equally important to include verse 29: "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son..."

I don't pretend to understand fully the doctrine of election and predestination; but this one thing is clear. It isn't just that God makes all things work together for our good; but the real purpose of that is in verse 29: "to be conformed to the image of his Son." In other words, God allows things in our lives, not to make us comfortable or happy or pain free. He allows things, even things we consider bad, for one main purpose: to make us more like Jesus.

2. The Bible is God's Word and is sufficient for what we need to address in our lives. In a world that is hyped up on professionals being the only one that can help in times of crises, we need to be remained that God begs to differ. He told us that we have "everything we need for life and godliness" (II Peter 1:3); and that the Bible is "God breathed and profitable" for all things in our lives. The Word of God is powerful (Hebrews 4:12) and able to teach us, rebuke us, and get us back on the right path. someone told me recently that because they have an anger problem, they need to go to a clinical psychologist. What they really need, most, is to go to the source of all truth - to God and His Word. The real answers, the lasting answers, will be found there.

3. God expects every believer to be able to "admonish" or counsel one another. Of course, there are those who are more highly trained that may have some answers for particular issues that we struggle with. But, since every Christian has access to the Word of God and can learn to use it skillfully (II Timothy 2:15), we are responsible to do the "one anothers" in the Bible, not necessarily pass someone off to a "professional". Going through this training, I keep being reminded that we can can give one another good counsel, because we can give one another the truths of God's Word. A place like this church in Indiana is a great help in teaching us how to use God's truth effectively in counseling one another.

4. It is all about the gospel. We would certainly agree that a non-believer needs to hear the gospel message, about Jesus dying for his sins, and that is the most important message he could hear and respond to. However, we easily forget that we who are believers need the gospel every day as well. No, not to get saved again (that only happens once); but to keep the right perspective of who God is, who we are in Christ, and what we are to be doing right now in the context of the gospel. If we apply the good news of Jesus Christ to our lives and circumstances, we can see more clearly, rest in His grace, and make sure our focus is on what is truly important and eternal.

5. It all begins with self counsel. That sounds a little weird, doesn't it? But, let me explain. Before you can truly help someone else, you need to make sure that you are regularly growing and learning on your own. I need to be spending time with God, making sure that I am filled up with His Word, so that His truth can change my heart today and then I am in a much better position to give His truth to someone else.

6. Prayer is key. We know this, of course, and yet it seems very easy to set it aside, again, for another day. We might go through the motions of quick prayers that are expected at certain times of the day; but do we really, truly, seek God in prayer? Even as a pastor, I can easily go without it. Of course, when I do, I am relying on my own power. What a stupid thing to do. The Word of God is important, as we hear from Him and study for personal growth. But, God also asks us to talk to Him, daily, throughout the day, to share our heart with Him and to ask Him to do His will.

7. Take these 2 pills and you will be fine. It is tempting to try to make biblical counseling all about steps 1,2,3, and everything is all better in our lives. But, we all know that sometimes, just giving a Bible verse to someone doesn't make it all better or remove the problem. There is benefit in taking some specific steps and prescribing certain actions, but one of the most important things I am reminded of is that the answers are not normally that easy. Most of what we need are just the foundational truths about God that at first may not seem to relate to our problems of those we are trying to help. But, if we do not have those foundational issues down, the external changes someone might make are going to be short lived. The first session I took last week was all about the attributes of God and how they apply to our trying to help people with their problems.

8. The "world's" answers to problems normally deal with the symptoms, whereas biblical counseling, using God's Word to address problems, goes to the root issues of the heart.

9. Helping a non-believer must focus on his first step: salvation. I hinted at this earlier, but once of the things that I am reminded of, over and over again, is that a non-believer cannot have true, lasting, eternal change, until his heart is made new by Jesus. Yes, he can make some external changes, or stop certain behaviors, but only a follower of Christ, who has the Holy Spirit living in Him, can truly live out the truths of God's Word over the long haul and in the most important areas. So, in my counseling of non-believers, I need to remember to always bring it back around to their need for a Savior.

10. There is always more to learn. I have spent many many years in school and have a few degrees. But, whenever I am in a conference like this one, I am reminded that I always have more to learn. And I think that is a good mindset to be in. I hope to stay there, even as I jump back into the craziness!

No comments: