Friday, February 26, 2010

MY BIG FAT BUT

I do believe I have been gaining some weight lately, but that's not the BUT I'm speaking of here.

In the last couple of months, I have come into contact with people who have been struggling with their BUTS; and it has made me realize that I struggle with my BUT as well. What BUT am I talking about? The plain, old, regular BUT that we hear and use ourselves several times a day without even realizing it: "I wish school was cancelled today, BUT since it isn't, I guess I have to go"; I want to eat chocolate cake BUT I need to lose weight, so I will eat a piece of lettuce with no dressing (that example is fictional, because I can't imagine anyone in their right mind ever making a decision like that!)."



Now that you know the word, let me be more specific on its usage. The specific use of BUT that I am referring to goes like this: I see that the Bible says that BUT...

The wording may vary, but the issue is clear: we know, deep down, that the Bible says something that we don't like or agree with, and so we struggle not only to apply it, but even to study it, and search it out. Our flesh is battling with the Spirit, and we know how to put up a good fight. I believe this is world wide problem, not just one I struggle with.



Let me just list here some of the ones that might be the most common:

I see what the Bible says:


  • that I need to obey my parents even though I disagree, BUT you don't understand...

  • that as a parent, I am not supposed to exasperate my children or discipline in anger, BUT you don't understand what my kids have done...

  • that as a husband, I am supposed to love my wife as myself and as Christ loved the church BUT you don't know my wife...

  • that as a wife, I am to submit to the leadership responsibilities that God has given my husband, BUT how could I be expected to, when my husband did this...

  • that God hates divorce, and that no man is to separate what God put together, BUT in our case, we really have irreconcilable differences...

  • that God makes all things work together for my spiritual good, BUT this circmstance certainly doesn't fit into that...

  • that God tells me not to be anxious about anything and to give him all my burdens and He will give me His peace that surpasses human understanding, BUT if you knew what I'm going through you would be anxious as well...

  • that I am supposed to obey and submit to my leaders at the church BUT God can't really mean that, can He...

  • that God wants me to give financially to Him, through the church, joyfully, voluntarily and sacrificially, and that if I do not I am robbing God, BUT certainly that doesn't apply to a time of recession...

  • that gossip is sin, BUT did you hear what he did...

  • that God is soveriegnly in control of all things, BUT then why do bad things happen to good people...

I know the Bible says ______________________, BUT.....


Let me just share one passage of Scripture with you, to meditate on and apply when you want to respond to the principles and truths of God's Word with the response: BUT...


James 1:19-22 - "Know this, my beloved brother: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires. Therfore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meedness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."


In context, I believe the primary application of verses 19-21 concern listening to, accepting the Word of God without fighting it; and then verse 22 connects it, by saying that it must be applied or we are just deceiving ourselves.

May God help me to read, study, meditate on, and apply His Word to my life, today...

no matter what...no ifs, no ands, and certainly no BUTS!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen...from a friend visiting the East Coast this week!