Wednesday, February 10, 2010

BIBLICAL COUNSELING CONFERENCE - Day 2

Maybe God is trying to say something to me? Hmmm… On opening night, I wrote about how the speaker was dealing with the attributes of God in counseling; and I focused on the sovereignty of God. On day 1, was I was really struck by the session on humility and repentance. Today, day 2, was a great day as well. The sessions on anger and on prayer were great. But, I have to write about what I heard at tonight’s general session. James McDonald, pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel in the Chicago area, and a well known speaker and writer, was the keynote speaker.

You’ll never guess what topic he spoke on for the night…The sovereignty of God…Hmmm…I wonder. He is an excellent speaker, whom I have heard in person a couple of times, and on the radio many times. But, God knew what I needed to hear, through His servant, from His Word, tonight – to my heart.

He shared his heart, concerning the difficult circumstances he had been through over the past few years. That included a wayward daughter, a son in a serious car accident, financial problems, including lawsuits over his church building and radio ministry; and it also included cancer that he had for a while. I love it when guys who are sharing God’s Word also share their hearts and the reality of their lives with us. I hope I will always do that.

He used Acts 12 and the story of Peter being released from prison, to exalt the sovereignty of God. It touched my heart, and God is using this message to give me encouragement and strength, gaining more confidence in Him. In some ways, this seemed like the worst time to leave Ohio and come to a conference for a week. It is the busiest time of ministry I have had in 5 years. But, I am learning, day by day, here in Indiana, that God had some things He wanted to teach me and remind me of, in this place, at this time.

It is not the same as listening to him preach, but let me at least give you the outline, along with the verses, and a few sub points or statements; and you can meditate on it on your own, at your convenience:

God is in control: even when I suffer – Acts 12:1-5

God is in control: even when it’s midnight – Acts 12:6-11,18,19
· God: if you let this go any further, I won’t be able to fix it (if you need further explanation on this point, just let me know)

God is in control: even when my faith is weak – Acts 12:12-17
· Sovereignty trumps your lack of faith
· Nobody gets a pass on suffering
· God’s love is not a pampering love, but perfecting love

God is in control: even when the wicked seem to prosper – Acts 12:20-23

And what seems to happen, when there are difficult circumstances, and God shows up?
Acts 12:24 – “The Word of God increased and multiplied.”

No comments: