Tuesday, March 27, 2012

LOST MY JOB...NEED TO FIND IT!

Even as I begin to write about this new transition stage of my life, I feel a bit guilty. I am not alone in not having a job presently; but I have it much better than most. Although I do not have unemployment benefits some do, I have a previous employer that is taking care of us for a period of time, so that I can find a new job and possibly make the transition without going into more debt or having to take on several part-time jobs just to make ends meet. I am very grateful.

I have considered the age old method of standing by highway exits and holding up a sign that reads: "will work for food." But, if I were to go that route, my sign would have to say something like: "will preach for chocolate". That sounds much better, doesn't it? Whether it is holding up a sign or just working hard to apply for available work that God provides, it is God that opens the doors and does the providing. I just have to do my part.

But, during this time of transition, there is still the issue of not having a job and desperately asking God to lead me to what He wants me to do in His timing and way. During this time, it has made me wonder about myself, as well as others who are without work. In a way, finding a job is a full-time job; but during this time of transition, it is certainly easy to lose focus or even take a wrong turn in heart, mind and attitude. It is my desire, that during this transition, I will learn what I need to learn and be who I need to be. Finding a job cannot be the only, or even the most important goal during this time.

Job #1: Pursue a closer relationship with God
This is where I must start. This is more important than finding another ministry to serve God in. When people are without work, they are sometimes tempted to push God to the side, or even have feelings of abandonment, or worse yet, anger toward God for their predicament. It is crucial, that my highest priority during these days, my greatest relationship must be, has to be, a full pursuit of God. When the urgent will tell me that I need to be worried and spend my time elsewhere; even that I might not "have the time" to spend with God right now, I know better. It is not only a crucial thing, but the only thing that matters eternally right now. This is my first "job" during my time of unemployment.

There are a few ways in which I want to pursue Him during these days:
  • Read God's Word each day (right now I am reading it chronologically through this year)
  • Spend time in prayer (including thanks and praise)
  • Writing about what God is doing (this blog seems to be a good place to start)
  • Memorizing God's Word (our family began memorizing the book of Colossians)
I know that these are actions that don't always reflect the heart; but I also know that if my heart is set on God, then these are some of the things I will be doing in order to have a closer relationship with Him. As I pursue Him, during these days, may I also encourage and challenge all of you who may be in a time of transition (or not), to make this your #1 job as well!

No comments: