Friday, March 16, 2012

OPEN HEART

Last time I wrote about having open hands, as it relates to all that God has given us. Everything and every relationship I have is a gift of God; and I am the steward of it until God decides my time is done or needs them more. It is tempting to clinch my fingers around whatever it might be and try to hang onto it. But, the humble, submissive spirit toward God keeps the fingers open; and although it can sometimes be heart wrenching, it is the attitude that God demands and brings Him glory.

However, even if we live with an "open hands" mentality, I realize that that there is something else we must do...that I must do. I must have an "open heart". After God takes something from us, and we no longer have the option of holding on, we must make the choice to respond to what God has for us next, and the people He chooses to have us invest in.

For example, with my situation, I wanted to pastor the church here in Ohio until the end of my ministry days. But, God has taken that out of my hands. So, now what? There are several thoughts, as it relates to my situation; and just maybe you can find a way to apply it to your own.

How to have an OPEN HEART:
  • Humbly confess your own sins and heart attitude struggles. God says that He will not despise a "broken and contrite heart".
  • Thank God for the past and all the blessings you enjoyed
  • Thank God for how you grew while you had possession of whatever it was; and for how He used you to help others grow
  • Forgive any hurts or offenses from the past, or even the circumstances surrounding God taking something from your open hands
  • Understand that God has something planned, and even though you may not understand all the "whys" of the situation, you can trust Him
  • As God replaces what He took out of your hand with new things, situations and relationships, be ready to receive them joyfully.
  • Be excited about the future, and instead of dwelling in the past, look ahead to what God has planned for you now

Lord, help me to have an open heart: a submissive, thankful heart toward you; and a kind, loving, forgiving and accepting heart toward others.

Amen.

No comments: