Saturday, November 17, 2012

WORDLESS MUSIC

There are all kinds of music, and certainly music without words can be very soothing, enjoyable, and even powerful. There are many tunes that are easily recognized as soon as you hear them; and they are often connected with a memory that makes it enjoyable, or painful. But, sometimes, I think music without words are empty, in vain. I thought of this while working a few weeks ago. The music can really, only,  be heard, faintly, in the restrooms (or perhaps it is my bad hearing). I recognized the music as Christian contemporary. It included some of my favorite worship songs. I was singing ever so faintly right along with them. But something was bothering me and it didn't take me long to figure out what it was. It was wordless music.

Although it may work wonderfully with other genres of music, it doesn't (in my novice opinion) with Christian contemporary music. I'm listening to the music without the words, and thinking: "what is this"? It just seems so empty, so lifeless, such a waste. As I thought and even sang the words that go with the song, there was power, life and meaning. Not because I was singing (it may actually bring death), but because of the words. These are words that talk about the power of God, the saving grace of Jesus, and the heart of the worshipper. Without the words, it is just noise (still my opinion). It is like saying I am a Christian but not actually living that way, nor talking about my faith. As James wrote: "Faith without works is dead."

God has greatly used music, over these past several months, to encourage me, to convict and challenge me. In the darkest of times, this music has restored my soul, hearing and singing the truths that come from God's Word; and doing it in a way that only music can do - so full of fact encompassed by great emotion. So, it it time to get off my soap box; but if I am ever king of the world, it may be the first rule I implement - All Christian contemporary music must have words with the music (can I count on your support?) !

No comments: