Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I HOPE IT IS TRUE

I had the privilege, this week, of meeting with my current pastor; which was a blessing for several reasons. It is a fairly larger church, so being able to meet with the senior pastor was great. I have known his name and some of his speaking for years, but I don't know him personally yet. However, I already had respect for him; and based on how he treated me, a nobody that he didn't know, my level of respect has grown considerably. The important thing is not who he is, or the details of our conversation; but one statement he made that encouraged me the most.

He said this: "The most effective ministry years are in between the ages of 50 and 75." You may want to read that again, as I needed to replay it in mind as soon as he said it. "The most effective ministry years are in between the ages of 50 and 75." I commented that I had never heard that; and that it seems most people, even in ministry, talk about it as though the opposite is true. He didn't have a book or Gallup poll or statistics that he was quoting (perhaps he did but didn't mention them to me). It may be that someone he respected told him that. It may be that since he is in that age window and has been used greatly by God, that he has seen it first hand. It may be that he has seen it in others. He definitely believed it to be true; and I hope it's true.

He said that many younger guys in ministry have a hard time not making it about themselves. They have dreams of building something big and are really concerned about how others view them. That is, of course, a generalization and not true of everyone. But, he believed most young guys, including when he was younger in ministry, focused on some of the urgent things rather than what was most important...maybe. He also said he needed to come to a place in his ministry, and did in his late 40's, when he realized he needed to put aside the things he "could do" and focus, instead, on the things he "had to do", or "must do" or "should do".

Guys a little more "seasoned" in ministry tend to have grown in wisdom as it relates to the futility of pleasing others. They have the potential of having a broader, more eternal view of life and ministry; especially as they realize their time is (as the Bible promises) short. This allows them not to be as distracted in the process of ministry, or derailed by other good, but not most important pursuits. They also don't need to be as influenced by the plans and pleas of others, that may very well detract for the purpose and goals God has put in his heart and directed in ministry.

I hope this is true. As I near that age window, and have a desire to be in ministry again, as a pastor, I desire to have God use me effectively, even more effectively than ever before. I pray that everything God has taught me along the way will help me be prepared to serve Him, better than ever, in a way that will honor Him and bring Him glory. I hope and pray it is true!

No comments: