Monday, October 28, 2013

4th quarter?

The title of my blog is Greg's Halftime. Some years ago, when I began blogging, I named it this because it seemed like my life was half over (at least); and I wanted to focus on any time left to honor God with my life. You can read my post entitled: Halftime, from October 26, 2007. It you get back on my blog: gregshalftime.blogspot.com, and then go to this date to read it. I was challenged by the book: Chazown, which helped me come up with my life purpose statement: My dream is to help people take the next step in their spiritual journey.

However, just a couple of days ago, I found myself celebrating another birthday; and as it usually happens with birthdays, I was getting older. It just hit me: you're not at halftime Greg - you're in the 4th quarter! At first, I was offended by my own thoughts. Then, I realized how ridiculous it is to be offending yourself - so I stopped. But I kept thinking: perhaps this is a good thing. When I think of halftime, I think: I still have another half. I'm o.k. There is plenty of time to win the game, even if I am far behind. But, if it is the 4th quarter, there is more of an urgency. I don't have much time left. If I am going to do something significant before the game ends, now is the time!

I am very grateful for the life God has given me; and if I were to die today, I would feel satisfied, in Him. But, as it relates to my life and ministry, there is still more I would love to do, for the glory of God. That is where my focus needs to be, if God chooses to give me another day, week, month, year, or even decade (or more). He has left me here for a reason; and I want to make the best of it. So, if it is the 4th quarter, then let's figure out what needs to be done; so that when that final buzzer sounds, nothing is left on the field - and I can be a winner (i.e. God saying: Well done good and faithful servant).

No comments: