Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cinderella

"She spins and she sways To whatever song plays Without a care in the world

And I'm sitting here wearing The weight of the world on my shoulders It's been a long day

And there's still work to do She's pulling at meSaying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle And I've been invited And I need to practice my dancing

Oh, please, Daddy, please?" So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew Oh, I will dance with Cinderella

I don't want to miss even one song 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight

And she'll be gone...She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed

She wants to know if I approve of the dress She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away

And I need to practice my dancing Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew Oh, I will dance with Cinderella

I don't want to miss even one song 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight

And she'll be gone She will be gone Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand

Just glowing and telling us all they had planned She says,

"Dad, the wedding's still six months away But I need to practice my dancing

Oh, please, Daddy, please?" So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew Oh, I will dance with Cinderella

I don't want to miss even one song 'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight

And she'll be gone"


The above song is my girls' favorite right now . It is by Steven curtis chapman; and they love they hear it over and over and over again. My boys aren't that crazy about it (for obvious reasons - it's a "girls" song; but I really enjoy it. It reminds all those who listen of how quickly time with our children passes; and very soon, they are gone (one way or another). It tugs at my heart every time. It will forever have more meaning to everyone who hears it because of the news that broke this morning:

NASHVILLE — Grammy-winning Christian music star Steven Curtis Chapman's youngest child died Wednesday evening after being struck by a car driven by her teenage brother in the driveway of the family's Williamson County, Tenn. home.
Maria, one of the Christian singer's six children, was taken by LifeFlight to Vanderbilt Hospital, which confirmed the death, according to Laura McPherson, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
The 5-year-old was hit by an SUV driven by her teenage brother, she said. Police did not give the driver's name.
The teen was driving a Toyota Land Cruiser down the driveway of the rural home about 5:30 p.m. and several children were playing in the area, McPherson said. He did not see Maria in the driveway before the vehicle struck her, she said.
"It appears to be a terrible accident," McPherson said.
-USA TODAY -

This news report is hard to read. I cannot imagine what must be going on in the hearts of that family right now. I don't suppose anyone can really understand unless they have been through it. I will definitely keep this family in my prayers as they journey through this time of heartache. There are so many different aspect of this story - all of which are difficult.

I do have a flashback, however, to an incident in our family less than a year ago. Teresa was not home and I had all the kids at another event. When we got home, I let out all of the kids near the door, before heading into the garage. My attention was diverted by something. I saw Breanna near the front door and I was ready to pull into the garage. Then, Breanna said something and pointed toward the car. I got out of the car and my heart sunk as I found Caleb, bending down in front of the surburban looking at some ants. If Breanna would not have gotten my attention, I would have gone forward and run over my son.

Even now as I write this, my heart is tender and terrifying thoughts run through my mind. All in all, I am resting in the grace and mercy of God, that saved me from the same thing the Chapman family is experiencing right now. I am overwhelmed with gratitude that God spared my son. I realize that my children, our family is never completely safe. Anything can happen at any time - this I know.

I continually place my life, Teresa's and each of my cildren - in the hands of God. May God give all of us, including the Chapman family the grace that he promises is sufficient for any circumstance. Somehow, may we be able to say, only by God's power, what Job said: "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away - Blessed be the name of the Lord."

No comments: