Sunday, May 18, 2008

HAPPY [belated] MOTHERS DAY

Aren't you about a week late Greg?
Yes, I suppose I am; but that is kind of the point of this writing.
I find myself telling my mom, my wife, and in general, other people about how much I appreciate them - way too late. I wait too long. I do it on Mother's Day and birthdays and anniversaries and other times; but not enough.

As an example of this, I thought about writing last Sunday about my mom and my wife; but I didn't. So, here I am, a week later, to tell you what an awesome mother I have been blessed with - and what an unbelievable wife and mother to my children, God has given me.

The main things I think of when I think of growing up in my mom's household, was that she was highly devoted to God, my dad, and to us. I have never doubted her loyalty to any of these. She has been a great example of what it means to be a godly wife and mother. Even today, she cares for each of her 3 children, my dad, and all of her grandchildren in wonderful ways. We wish she lived closer so that we could spend more time together; and yet being where God wants her to be and having her family where God wants them to be, has always been one of her strongest beliefs. That doesn't make it easy for her or any of us, but it points our focus back to God, who gave us our wonderful mom in the first place.

Mom - I love you, am thankful to God for you; and I greatly appreciate how you continue to love God, dad, and our entire family!

Teresa, my wife, and the mother of my children, doesn't think she is a great mom; and this happens to be one of her greatest weaknesses (maybe I shoudn't be sharing this!). She just cannot see what a blessing she is, right now, to me and to our children. There is no doubt that she loves God above all, loves me, loves our children, and wants what is best for all of us. When our children disagree with what is best, there is conflict; and yet Teresa continues to care for all of us, even in the midst of it. Having 5 children (ages 7-13) is not easy; and yet we both believe that God has given us each one of them for this special time in all of our lives. Teresa serves us, knowing how quickly this time is passing; and what a great privilege we have with our family.

Teresa - I love you, and am extemely grateful to God that you are my wife and our kids' mother. I do not doubt your desire to care for them and to lead them to live for God all of their days. Even though it is difficult to accept the fact that we cannot force that, I am glad that we get to pray and work together to see what God chooses to do in and through our children. You are a great mom and a great wife - BELIEVE IT!

Mom and Teresa, Please know, that even though Mother's Day has officially passed, I am thankful to God each day for bringing you into my life - and into the lives of our kids!

Greg

No comments: