Tuesday, May 27, 2008

SIT ON THE TOILET AND ADMIRE MY DOCTORAL DIPLOMA

I can appreciate those who call me Pastor Whiting, Pastor Greg or just Pastor. They do so (I think) out of respect. They grew up believing that a pastor should be referred to by his official title. I don't criticize those pastors who ask their people to call them by a title. It's just not for me. Many people already put pastors on a dangerous pedestal; and titles, I have found, sometimes adds to the deception that pastors are any more holy than the other believers who sit in the pew. If I sin, and I do often, they need to be prepared to treat me as any other brother in Christ (lovingly confronting and restoring me).

I also need to be reminded that I cannot be isolated from the others who attend. I need God's grace just as much as they do. When I first arrived at Grace Baptist Church in Westlake, Ohio as the lead pastor, I asked them to either call me the most high reverend Pastor Whiting or Greg. I told them I preferred Greg since that is the name my parents gave me (well, it was Gregory back in '66). I told them that if they left titles out of my name, I promised not to call any of them by their biblical titles, such as: Deacon Doug or Saint Sandy or Priest Paul. Whatever they call me, I am just privileged to be their pastor. I certainly don't deserve to serve God and them in this way. It is by God's grace.

So, when people heard that I earned my Doctor of Ministry degree from Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, Texas, they just couldn't help but call me Doctor Greg or Doctor Whiting. They know how much I love titles! I told them that I understood their use of that title, and that I would forgive them this one time - first offense was free. After that, look out! I suppose if I have to choose between titles, I would much rather prefer Pastor Greg. However, I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and believe that whatever they call me, they have respect for the responsibility God has given me, and that they genuinely care for me.

I do need to keep a check on my attitude. Although I want to downplay this degree , I need to be thankful to God for bringing me through this process. It only took me 10 years to complete the 6 year degree! I am also very grateful to those who prayed for me, encouraged me, and even helped financially over these years. I do know that it is an accomplishment, and I need to accept people's congratulations graciously. I will try to do that. My wife and others from our church have planned an all church picnic to celebrate this graduation, and I certainly want to thank them for their kindness and support through celebration.

I also do not want to diminish all of those others out there who have earned Doctoral degrees. I do not have a PhD. (which I think is extremely more difficult); but even those with D.Min. degrees, like me, should take "pride" in their work. They have done a great job, worked hard, and deserve any accolades that come their way. If one of their rewards they choose is being called Doctor, then that is great and fine by me. I believe additional education is a great decision for those God has led to it; and if they do it, they should work hard and then enjoy the rewards along the journey and when it is complete. Congratulations to all the doctors out there!

I did greatly enjoy my time at DTS. I was thankful to get a little broader perspective than I had previously, and I was able to meet some great people along the way. It was a great reminder that there are many people and churches who love God and are doing His work, even outside of any particular denomination or association. I already knew that, of course, but spending time with other godly men and women who are pursuing Christ and serving Him faithfully made my belief more concrete and practical.

What I enjoyed most about my time at DTS were my classes that I took on campus. That allowed me face to face interaction with teachers and other students. Those are my greatest memories. With all my transitions over the past 10 years, and other times that I needed to take a break (for a variety of reasons), I ended up doing most of my final classes by independent study. Another thing I really appreciated about this degree was that it was designed for people still in ministry; and each of the projects (at the end of each class) were meant to apply practically to my specific church.

All of my other degrees are stuffed in a box in a closet; but I have decided to prominently place this D.Min. degree where I can see it often. I have chosen the bathroom wall in my office. Why the bathroom? For one, I can see it several times a day in there. Secondly, I suppose it is an accomplishment to appreciate for a while; and to let others see as well. But, my greatest reason is to remind myself that my degree might as well go in the toilet if I don't love God and others more as a result of this educational journey. If I am not humble and grateful and wholeheartedly dedicated to God, then take the paper of the wall, place it in the circular container with questionable water, and press the flush lever.

Doesn't the Bible say something like...
"And if I have prophetic powers and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." - I Corinthians 13:2

If this degree allows me to serve more effectively and opens doors for ministry of the gospel, then thank God for that. But, if this degree is for pride's sake, or so people will think I am something that I am definitely not, then flush it now. Keeping it in the bathroom, with the natural smells and appliances, will hopefully keep this all in perspective.

As of right now, the diploma is not quite on the wall. Teresa asked for it, I assume, to find the right frame that will match the bathroom decor! So, once it is up, I invite each of you, if you desire, to come sit on my toilet (cover down please!) and look at my diploma. You get one free look; but if you admire it too long, as to think I am anything special, I may have to flush you.

Thanks for reading this, by the way. Now, I never need to talk about it again!

No comments: