Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bible Reading

I love this story. In the story of Joseph, he had been sold into slavery by his own brothers, lied about by Pharoah's wife, cast into prison unjustly, forgotten by the man for whom he had interpreted a dream favorably. And yet, through all of that, God was leading him by providence, to the place of leadership He wanted him to be - for the good of God's people and the glory of God.

A great climax to one of the subplots here is when Joseph's brothers have to come to Egypt where Joseph is now 2nd in command, bow before Joseph (just as he had predicted in his dreams many years before) and ask for food because of the famine. They were in Joseph's hands. He could have had his revenge. Instead, he said this, after he revealed himself and they were afraid for their lives:

Genesis 45:5,7 - "And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life...And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors."

That is unbelievable! And yet, this is the attitude of a man who understood that this was God's doing, not man's; and therefore it was not his job to bring retribution, but instead to bring grace and blessing. That is spiritual maturity.

May I see the wrongs done to me the same way Joseph saw it in his life. May I see and point out God's providence, even in the midst of difficult or "unfair" circumstances.

May I be encouraged that God is moving, He is working - in and through me.

And the same goes for you too!

No comments: