Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Champion is crowned...My head is hung in shame...again!

It has become a tradition unlike any other...I lose to my entire family in a sports related competition. I have played basketball most of my life and like to think that I know something about the sport. I have certainly watched more basketball than anyone else in my family. So, as the NCAA, Division I men's basketball tournament (known as March Madness) was getting ready to begin, I was feeling pretty confident. You see: a couple years ago, in connection with the March Madness tournament, I instituted a friendly family competition. I made copies of the brackets and during dinner asked everyone (all 7 of us) to fill them out. Then, once the games began, you would earn points for picking the winner; and each round, if your teams are still playing, you get more points for every win.

I go into the filling out of the brackets fairly confident. Even though the "seeding" of the teams is clearly known to all, I figure that I know the percentages, better than anyone, of where the upsets might be; as well as know some of the intangibles of different teams that might make a difference. I make my selections based on what I have seen in years past, as well as what it looks like what might happen this year. I also take the "experts" opinion into consideration. On the other hand, my dearly loved family have other criteria for picking their teams, which might include: picking a team from a nice place to vacation; picking the team with the prettiest colors; picking the team that has the "cooler" sounding name; picking the team that has a seeding number that is a favorite number; picking a team because no one else will pick them; picking a team because they like their football team; picking a team because someone else in the family picked them; and the list goes on.

You can see why I should be fairly confident. So, please explain to me, why, for the second year in a row, I ended up in 7th place. Yes, 7th: dead last; bottom of the heap; crushed; defeated; a loser; LAST PLACE! How did that happen? I can't go out in public any more (well, maybe I will; but only if I need to!). I won't be asked to sign autographs anymore (which is not too difficult of an adjustment since I don't get asked for my autograph now). And, finally, I won't be participating in the March Madness tournament family challenge again (until next year, of course).

As I hang my head in shame, I am beginning to strategize for next year's competition. Maybe I should pick teams based on my favorite numbers, colors or places to go on vacation.................................................
Nope - can't do it. But, I will be ready family. I am winning next year. I will be champion again (that is, for the first time)! Bring on the Madness.

No comments: