Thursday, April 26, 2012

Re-Focus

Since the beginning of this year, my family has been working at memorizing the book of Colossians. It is a good thing; but one of the challenges when I am memorizing Scripture, is that I forget to apply it. I am so focused on putting it to memory that it is easy to forget to take the time to think about it, meditate on it, and consider what it has to do with my life today. So, as I was reviewing the first chapter of Colossians this past week, a couple verses really captured my attention, and I was able to re-focus on what is most important in my life:

Colossians 1:27,28 - "To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ."

What a blessing, an encouragement, an amazing act of Grace, that based on placing my faith and trust in Jesus Christ for my salvation, He actually dwells in me; and I am assured of being in Heaven with Him someday! Based on that incredible truth, the mission of my remaining days here on Earth are made clear. We are to talk about Christ, admonishing, teaching the truths of God. Why? What is the overall goal? "That we may present everyone mature in Christ." I love it. That is discipleship. The way God placed this goal in my heart a few years ago, reads like this: "My dream is to help people take the next step in their spiritual journey."

These verses were a great reminder to me, of what this life, my life, is all about. It is one reason I love being in full-time ministry as a pastor. Even though we are all to be focused on this, it is my privilege to do it as my life's work: to help people grow and become mature in Christ. It is not about the money, the location, the title, or the ease. It is about living faithfully for Christ, wherever I am, giving my full effort to grow in Him and help others grow. This is my focus, my goal, my desire, and my prayer.

No comments: