Sunday, April 29, 2012

THE DRAFT

I suppose in a generation past, being called into real war, the draft would not be something you were hoping to be chosen in. But, this past weekend, if you said "the draft", most would be thinking about the National Football League's draft, as the teams choose from last year's best college football players, making many of them instant millionaires. One of the highest drama  impacts of every draft happens in the "green room". That is where the players who were invited, and expected to be drafted high, wait until they receive the phone call from the team drafting them, and then to have their name called. The cameras love to focus on the guys who thought they were going in earlier rounds, only to sit and wait...and wait...and wait some more. They all eventually get called, but sometimes there is an embarrassment or frustration attached; and sometimes loss of a lot of cash. Poor guys, right?

But, as I was watching the draft, and especially the green room action, I thought about a spiritual comparison. What if we were all in the green room, waiting to be drafted by God, in order to serve Him? I know I would be waiting quite a long time; longer than you, I'm sure. But, I am so thankful God doesn't do it that way...aren't you? First, the fact that I would be chosen at all, has nothing to do with anything good I have done. In football terms, I have no speed, to cutback ability, no soft hands, no accuracy, and no "up-sides". In fact, I failed the "wonder-lick test"! But, I am thankful it is not about that:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing: it is the gift of God."
Ephesians 2:8

I have no business being in the "green room", but I am there, by God's grace, by His gift. Then, when it comes to being chosen by Him, to serve Him, I should be overlooked. I am weak, sinful, and fail all the time. And yet, our God likes to choose guys like me to serve Him; and people like you to:

"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." - I Corinthians 1:26-29

Isn't that amazing? So, don't get too comfortable in the green room. Your name has already been called. Go put your hat on, and get to work.You are not serving, to earn a spot on the team. You are serving because, despite your unimpressive speed and agility, you were chosen, by grace, to play on the greatest team ever. You are playing (living) to bring our leader, God Himself, all the glory, for every victory. Stop thinking about yourself and what you are incapable of; and start realizing what our great God can do through you.

Come join me on the field, and let's make the most of our opportunity. Game on!

No comments: