Sunday, April 8, 2012

A NEW BEGINNING

Easter means different things to different people. For some, it means a fun egg hunt and more candy. For others, it means dressing up and going to church. Or, it may just mean Spring is here and warmer weather is coming. But, for me, at this stage in my life, Easter means a new beginning; even a fresh start. I enjoy all the things that others enjoy with Easter, but at the heart of it all, for me, is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. That, of course, is what we who follow Jesus are supposed to be celebrating at this time of year. And just as with Christmas, there is a truth, a hope, a promise, that is meaningful at all times, and to all who believe.

With the resurrection of Jesus, hope was secured. Yes, Jesus gives us someone to hope in, for this life, as we follow His example and appreciate who He was. But, it didn't end there. In fact:
"If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied." - I Corinthians 15:19
It is because of the resurrection that we have the sure hope of being raised ourselves some day:
"But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep."I Cor.15:20
Jesus rising from the dead secures our rising from the dead; and guarantees that those of us who are true followers of Christ will be in Heaven with God for eternity. That is what we celebrate today!

But, it doesn't end with the truth and future hope. Because Jesus had victory over sin and death, it means that we do as well. And that truth is to lead us to live differently, to have a fresh, new perspective as we keep serving God here in this troublesome world:
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." - I Corinthians 15:57,58

There are many things to celebrate today, and they are all based on the resurrection of Jesus. That is the truth that affects everything else. So, today, in my particular situation and circumstance of life, I have a new beginning; even a fresh start. Because of Jesus rising from the dead, it motivates me to "hang in there", to be "steadfast and immovable", to keep giving myself to the work of God. Regardless of man's failure, God never fails; and He uses my efforts (feeble ones at that) for His glory. He is doing things, bringing it all about for good (Romans 8:28) that I cannot see. He is making sure that my "labor", my efforts (which fail in my eyes) are actually bringing about His purpose. That is amazing!

So, I have a new beginning today. I look at today and the days ahead with incredible hope: not only for what will happen when I die; but for the fact that until then, God is going to use me, for His glory, even while I am here. Let's celebrate!

No comments: