Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 1 - A new beginning

Today begins the Extreme Faith Workout, to which I have challenged myself and my congregation, as we work through the book of James together. If you would like to read more about it, you can get there on our church website: www.gbcwestlake.org
I realize that if I expect anyone else to grow in their faith during this time, I must be the first one to step forward and do the same. I know how easy it is, even as a pastor, to get right into ministry work, and not prepare my heart with God before hand. This will help me apply what I am learning and teaching, even as I encourage others to put these things into practice. If nothing else good comes from this, it will be all worth it if I grow in Christ during these next several months.

One challenge I put out there for this series was to memorize the book of James. That may seem daunting, but with a little bit of time every day, it is doable, even for us "old folks"! I memorized this book about 20 years ago, and I challenged myself to re-memorize it during this series. James has always been one of my favorite books of the Bible. It is right to the point. It challenges me to put what knowledge I already have into real action. It doesn't allow me to use the excuse of having a belief in God for not living the right way, toward God and others. James holds us accountable. Of course, it is truly God's Spirit, through His own word, that holds us accountable.

I enjoyed my study this morning, and look forward to what God has in store for me these months. Will you join me?

No comments: