Friday, April 2, 2010

TRUTH FROM HOLLYWOOD

That's not a statement you hear everyday, is it? It is especially not something you hear a pastor say very often, or ever! But, I am saying it today. Usually, when you watch a movie, you realize that reality is set aside for a couple hours of fantasy, of imagination, of entertainment. Even when a movie is "based on a true story", you know that much has been added or altered, to make it a good story for the big screen. I usually watch a movie to escape from reality.


But, for the past several years, on the evening of Good Friday, I have immersed myself with a dousing of reality from Hollywood; or at least I think so. I have read the story of Jesus' final week hundreds of times over my lifetime. And perhaps, because I have read it so often, and know what it says, the real impact of what Jesus went through for me through His trials and on the cross, is becoming much more of a challenge to experience. I am relating to it, trying to imagine what it might have been like, but not being able to "see it", really. I read the passages of His suffering, but I must admit, it has rarely led me to tears. I suppose this reveals a major weakness of mine, that just reading the accounts have not touched me every time, in the way they should. It is my fault.


But, several years ago, I viewed the movie: Passion of the Christ; and I have never thought of the suffering and crucifixion of our Lord the same again. I realize there was, and is still, criticism of Mel Gibson and the portrayal of these scenes of suffering; but I for one, am the better for it. I have now made it a personal time of worship for me, after the Good Friday service I attend, to view this movie and relive those events in a way that incredibly impacts my heart every time I watch it. I don't necessarily recommend this movie to everyone, because some are offended by it, or don't want to have visions of Christ's suffering. But, every time I watch it, I think: this must have been what it was like (or close to it). At the very least, it has become more real to me, and my heart melts every time I view it.

It is very personal to me. Jesus went through that, for me. He really did suffer, was truly beaten, mocked and betrayed, abandoned by his followers. He did go through the humiliation and scorn, the trials that were a joke of justice. The Scriptures are true; and this is the most realistic depiction I have seen of these truths:

Isaiah 53: 3-7 - "He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Now, when I read this verses, and the corresponding passages in the gospels, I have a picture in my mind and heart of what Jesus went through to bring redemption to one as unworthy as I. Thank you Jesus, for going through with what you came to do. I realize that I may never suffer in the way you have; but I also know, you have set the example of what it means to be a servant:

Philippians 2:5,8 - "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus...And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

You showed us how to live, in when we are unjustly accused or treated wrongly. You responded in perfect love and righteousness, and bore my sins.

I Peter 2:21-24 - "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed."

No comments: