Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 4 - a summary of James 1

On the extreme faith workout at: www.gbcwestlake.org today's challenge included writing a summary of James 1. The reason this was included is because when you write a summary, you have to first think about what you have read; and then, you have to think even more to summarize it into words. You can read something, and it may or may not enter your mind or heart. If you have to summarize something, you will have to engage your mind, and you have a better chance of it penetrating your heart, as you are meditating on the truth.

James 1: my summary
Trials, although extremely difficult for me, are a good thing. They are God's gift to me, sent to strengthen my faith and aid in my spiritual growth. If I will remain under them, and let God do His work, I will grow in spiritual maturity.

As I go through trials and strive to endure, I will need God's wisdom in order to do so. I must ask Him, fully believing that He will give it to me, in order to endure all trials. Part of that wisdom is knowing that the pursuit of riches is a vapor and will bring no wisdom or help in spiritual growth.

When I give in to temptation, and sin, I have no one to blame but myself. It is all about the lust within my own heart, not about the difficult circumstances I am going through.

The key is how I respond to the truths of the Word of God. I must not have pride or anger in response, but a humility that submits myself to God's truth. That includes, not just listening or reading or studying it, but putting it into action. In order to do so, I must continually look at myself, evaluate my heart, in the mirror of God's Word, and respond accordingly.

True religion is when our humble response to God's truth is demonstrated by reaching out in love to those in true need.

No comments: