Tuesday, April 6, 2010

LUCKY 13

I don't really believe in luck, but I thought it was a good title for this entry, so...there you go.

It was 13 years ago (April, 1997) that Teresa and I received a phone call from an adoption agency in New Hampshire. They shared with us the story of 2 children (twins!) who had been born in Romania in 1995. Their birth mother had died shortly after giving birth (within 2 months) and their father, a Romanian shepherd, placed them in an orphanage. A doctor's family from New Jersey brought them over to the United States 6 months prior to us receiving a phone call.


The doctor's family came to believe that God had them pay for everything and bring them over to the States, so that another family could receive the blessing that they might not be able to otherwise. And it was their desire that a pastor's family might be able to receive the children. And that is what led to us receiving the phone call one April Monday night, from the New Hampshire adoption agency, to whom we had sent no paperwork or money; but had let them know of our desire to adopt and limited finances to do so. This was, no doubt, God's working.


On June 13, 1997, we finished all the process we needed to go through in New Jersey, and brought them home to Florida, where we lived at the time. That was 13 years ago. Today, our twin blessings from God, Alex and Isabella, turned 15! I'm not ready for that. I guess it doesn't matter does it? Here they are: 15 years old

I am grateful to God for these gifts: my oldest son and daughter. He is using them to bless my life and to help me grow in Him. I hope He is also using me in theirs. This is my birthday prayer for both of them:

Lord, thank you for Alex and Isabella, and for this, the end of 15 years of life for them and a new beginning for their 16th year. Even though I didn't know them when they were born, you did, and you knew how you would bring us all together just a couple years from then. Thank you! Thank you for giving them a sensitivity to you; although only you know where their hearts are exactly with you. I pray that you will soften their hearts, renew their minds, and may your Spirit always encourage them to follow you wholeheartedly.

I pray you will keep them pure, in mind and heart, even as they live in this impure world. I pray for friends for them, who are also striving to honor you with their lives. Help them to recognize their weaknesses and to be changed by your power. Help them to be thankful for their strengths and to utilize them for your glory. Help them not to be squeezed into this world's mold; but to stand up and stand out for you, unashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

May they be sensitive to your Spirit, and when they sin, may they confess and repent. May the words of their mouths and the meditation of their hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our Rock and our Redeemer.

I would love for them to have a safe year, to have a healthy year, to have a happy year; but those are not my goals for them, as I know they are not your priorities either. Mostly, regardless of their circumstances, and sometimes through some very difficult circumstances, I pray you will grow Alex and Isabella, during this year, to be more like your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: