Saturday, April 17, 2010

AN EXTREME FAITH WORKOUT

In preparing for my messages on the book of James (beginning April 18th), it struck me that James is all about the stretching and strengthening and the use of our faith. Although there are things to learn, doctrinally, from the book of James, it is primarily a book that challenges us to do what we already know, rather than gain more knowledge for the sake of knowledge. So, the thought hit me: why don't we put the same kind of time, energy, focus and commitment into our spiritual growth as we do into a diet and exercise program? I know many people, including myself, who have given themselves for a period of time, to gett in better physical shape. During those days of commitment, everything else becomes secondary to the program we have entered.

I thought, that during my series in the book of James, I would challenge myself and my congregation to enter an extreme faith workout, based on the book of James. My intention is to make it flexible enough, so that those taking their very first steps in spiritual disciplines can benefit, as well as those who have been Christians a long time, have "been there done that" and are looking for a greater challenge.

I plan to blog all along the way, about my own thoughts and experiences while studying and living out the book of James. If you would like to be involved, you can listen to the messages, as well as look at the extreme faith workout challenges on our church website: www.gbcwestlake.org This should be up and running by Sunday, April 18th.

No comments: