Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 48 - It's prayer time

Extreme Faith Workout
www.gbcwestlake.org

Back in college, I began, periodically, to spend an hour in prayer. In the times that I have done that in my life, I have been refreshed and challenged in a new way. Who has an hour to spend just talking with God and listening to Him. Well, of course we all do. We somehow find an hour to talk to our friends, or eat or watch TV or take a nap or do a hobby, etc. But, somehow, I find it difficult to take an hour each day to spend with my best friend, my Savior, and my God.

But, today, in the extreme faith workout, there is that opportunity. I made it a half hour prayer time instead of an hour; but if you are up for the hour, just spend 5 minutes on each of the 12 categories, rather than 2.5 minutes. I'm not a mathematician, but I think that works out right.
The different categories are as follows:

Confession: I have to begin by confessing my sins and getting things right with God

Praise - This is asking for nothing except the opportunity to praise and adore God for who He is, for His character. This gets, right away, my attention off of myself and onto Him, where it belongs.

Waiting - This is difficult, especially since I believe God speaks to us through His Word. But, I have found, that when I am just quiet and focus my attention on God, I do hear from His Spirit and sense His direction (which lines up with His Word).

The Word - There are all kinds of prayers in the Bible that can be prayed right back to God. I have especially enjoyed this part of it.

Intercession/supplication - Before praying for myself, it is important to pray for others

Petition - This is bringing everything that is on my heart before God.

Thanksgiving - This is focused on thanking Him for what He has already given me. Perhaps this should come before asking for things!

Singing - I enjoy singing, especially when I am by myself. Music is a great way to communicate to God and praise Him.

Meditation - This is active thinking (unlike waiting) where consider what God is saying through His Word, which I just read.

Listening - What is God asking me to do, now that I have meditated on His Word. What are my next steps?

Psalms - This is prayer, praise, crying out to God, all in one, as the Psalms are great for being real with Him!

Praise - This is an appropriate way to end the prayer time, just as I began it - with praising God for who He is. The focus begins with Him and ends with Him.

No comments: