Friday, June 18, 2010

ZERO SCORE AND SIXTEEN YEARS AGO

Do you remember the most important thing that took place 16 years ago today: June 18, 1994?
There was quite a bit going on. The World Cup was taking place in the United States, which always draws a world wide audience. Arnold Palmer, the day before, did not make the cut and it was his final time playing in the U.S. Open golf tournament. Just a day or two before, the New York Rangers celebrated winning the Stanley Cup with a ticker tape parade in New York City. The New York Knicks played a great game on June 17th and went ahead 3 games to 2 on the Houston Rockets, in the NBA Championship series.

But, what most Americans remember from that day was what happened just the day before, on June 17th; and what was interrupting and trumping all the other events I just mentioned, was footage of a white bronco, a car, travelling down an L.A. Freeway. Why was that so spectacular? Because O.J. Simpson was in that Ford Bronco, and was threatening to take his own life. Earlier in the day, a manhunt went out for the arrest of Simpson, who was under suspicion for murdering his wife and a family friend. It was pretty amazing, and it seemed to capture every one's attention. It caught mine as well, as I watched some of the coverage from my hotel room. Why was I in a hotel room that night? Because I was getting married the next day!

That, of course, is the most important event that weekend 16 years ago. And 16 years ago today, June 18, 1994, I became most blessed, as I was married to my bride: Teresa Ann Campagna!
While there were many other things for people to get excited about, my special event, my marriage to Teresa, was definitely the most important and exciting event that took place. Because of that event, I have grown in so many ways, as a person, and as a follower of Christ. Because of that event, God has added 5 special blessings to our lives, with our awesome children.

We have experienced many ups and downs, many victories and defeats, many joys and sorrows. But, through these 16 years, we have faced them together, and I wouldn't want it any other way. So, although most others might remember one of those other events from 16 years ago, I am celebrating and remembering one of the greatest days of my life, outside of my physical and spiritual birthdays: the day when Teresa said "I do".

Thanks babe! You are an incredible gift from God, to me; and I am forever grateful. Thanks for putting up with me these 16 years and for your commitment to do that for the rest of the days we "both shall live". I am truly blessed. It is my desire that we will continue to grow together and honor God as husband and wife. Thanks for being my lover, my companion, my bride, my best friend.

I LOVE YOU!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Greg

No comments: