Friday, June 11, 2010

WHAT TO DO WHEN THE BULLETS START FLYING

It doesn't matter who you are, at some point in your life, you will find yourself in a circumstance where it feels as though you are being shot at. People will say things to you and/or about you, that are unfair, untrue, or maybe "softer" bullets that have truth involved, but delivered in a harsh, unloving way. There may also be times where you feel like you are the target in a shooting range, where more than one person is shooting at you at the same time. And it is especially hurtful when you take a glance at the ones doing the shooting, and you know who they are! These are not strangers, but people you have been friends with, or people that you have cared for, served and tried to help in some way. These shooters, in fact, were on your side, supposedly an ally with you, fighting against your shared enemy. And yet, their weapon is now aimed at you. What do you do?

Here are the things, through personal experience, that I naturally want to do:
  • shoot back
  • convince other observers to shoot them for you
  • run for cover
  • just lay down and die

However, having been shot at many times, and going through a variety of emotions and thinking through my options, I keep coming to the truth, the Word of God. This is where I find out, not what man would do, but what God did do. There is where I read what would honor God, as I endure the hurtful, dangerous fire of those I counted as friends. This is the truth, the example I want to follow:

I Peter 2:21-23 - "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. he committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly."

There is the answer, found in the example of Jesus Christ. Like no other human being that ever lived, Jesus was shot at, not only by his enemies, but by those who he came to serve, those he came to save. He came to offer himself as a gift, to give his life, so that people could have eternal life; and yet they shot at him. They lied about him, mocked him, hurt him in every way imaginable. And what did he do, in response? Look again at verse 23: "when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly."

That is my prayer, as I am being shot at. This is what I want to do. I want to be like Jesus. So, instead of shooting back, instead of being so concerned about defending myself, this is my prayer, this is my commitment, this is what I have been doing, over and over and over again. This is what I desire to do, and it is what I want to suggest to those of you who are finding yourself in the middle of flying bullets:

Commit yourself, commit the shooters, commit the circumstance, completely to God. He is the judge who knows heart. He is the one who can protect you and care for you. People may kill your reputation by shooting at you, but they cannot damage your character; and that is what God is really concerned about. This is not easy, it is not natural, it is not what we normally think of when we realize we are a target. But, I know it is truth, it is what pleases God; and I am committed to it.

My prayer: God, I will not take revenge on those who seek to hurt and destroy me. I confess that I want to defend myself and hurt them because they have hurt me so deeply. I confess that I want to run away and hide from the bullets and be safe. But, I know that true safety is being where you want me to be, even if it is in the eye of the storm. I will trust your Word. I commit myself to you. I commit my enemies to you. I commit my present circumstances to you. You are the one and only true God: my comforter, my friend, my shield, my refuge; and I will leave the judging up to you.

1 comment:

John Jacobs said...

Great stuff Greg. Everything you said hits home. Dwayne and I just read through 1 peter last week. I found it ironic how often he talked about suffering as Christians. I wondered " who would want to be a Christian with all this talk about how hard and painful life is gonna be?" and yet, I know that, as u said, I am called to a greater good, a better life, true freedom. I am called to be like Jesus. Thanks for pouring out tour thoughts so eloquently today. God used it to really speak to a bad attitude in my heart.