Monday, July 26, 2010

Why are you smiling at 6 a.m.?

This was the question asked me as we prepared to play basketball this morning. It didn't take me long to figure out why he noticed something in my demeanor that was a little different. I answered: I'm sure it is because of what happened yesterday; and I had the opportunity to share it with him:

What God did yesterday is why I remain in ministry. It is a reminder of what the church is supposed to be. It makes it all worth it. The morning service went fine and it was a pretty good day so far; but it is what God did in the late afternoon that brought the smile to my face and a lift to my spirit. We had planned on a baptism at the beach, after having a good experience last year with baptisms at the same beach.

The weather was a concern, as it had rained earlier, the skies looked somewhat foreboding, and I didn't know if people would show up. Once we got to the beach, red flags were up, meaning that the lifeguards were not allowing anyone in the water. My heart sunk. We were going to have to send everyone home. But, our incredibly cool Pastor Steve (if you are in doubt, just call his voicemail and he will confirm it!) went to talk to the life guards and they agreed to come down just for us and allow us to go into the water for the baptisms. God saved the day (using P. Steve of course!)

A good group of people showed up from the church, including some of our older ones, who certainly could have had excuses not to come; and some younger families, who for a variety of reasons with young children, could have stayed home. But they came. I don't know if they realize how encouraging it is just when they show up - to me and to all who were getting baptized. It was great!

The water was rough, but Steve and I helped each person into the water and through the baptism. It was kind of exciting to be helping these people take their next steps in Jesus, in the middle of some rough winds and waves. I kind of prefer it to the climate controlled baptismal tank! The crowd appropriately applauded and cheered each person after their baptism. Way to go church!

One of the greatest blessings of this baptism was that there were 6 adults that were baptized. Children are great to baptize, but there is something special about baptizing adults. It means that they have now come to the understanding of what it means to follow Christ and they are willing to take that next important step. This is what Jesus said we were to be doing until He returns: making disciples, which includes baptizing them. What we did yesterday was in direct relation to what God has called us to do. Out of all the things that a church does in its programs and activities, this is the thing we ought to focus on and celebrate the most. This is what the church was meant to be.

Then, I had the opportunity to spend some time with each of the 6 people that were baptized in the evening. To spend time with people who are taking the next step to obey God and follow Jesus Christ is the most important investment of time I can make. It was refreshing, encouraging and filled with joy. This kind of experience outweighs any negatives about things that don't really matter. I can get worried about giving numbers, attendance numbers, people walking away from relationships, and many other things. But, investing our time and energy in helping people take their next steps in their spiritual journey is really what lasts forever.

That is why I was smiling at 6 this morning; why I'm still happy; and I pray that God will help me continue to focus on this aspect of ministry...and keep smiling!

No comments: