Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 36 - Next Steps with James 2:1-7

Extreme Faith Workout
www.gbcwestlake.org

The Next Steps, applications from the message last Sunday, from James 2:1-7:
1. Confess your sins of favoritism:
I have had to confess circumstances in which I lean toward partiality. It is very difficult to admit, because I don't see myself as prejudice in any way; and yet, my natural tendency, in certain situaitons, is to assume something about someone, and that is wrong.

2. At church, talk to someone you wouldn't normally talk to:
This is something, that even as a pastor, I realize can happen. It may even be more of a subconscious thing, but my goal must be to talk to, and welcome every person in the building, on any given Sunday, if possible.

3. Pray for someone, toward whom you are tempted to show favoritism:
I have been doing that all this week, as God brought someone to mind. And again, the main issue is that I would not make assumptions about that person just by the external look on their face, but really make an effort to get to know their heart.

4. Plan to do something, in love, for a person you might normally ignore or dishonor.
Recently, I have been working on some things, in the effort to demonstrate love toward those who might not have sensed that from me in the past.

My commitment:
I am committing myself to seeing others as God sees them. Although that does not dismiss times when confrontation of sin is needed, I want to respond to others in love, grace and mercy, regardless of external appearances.

No comments: